Happy Snow Day! I hope that you are able to enjoy this day and spend it with your amazing kids. I am happy to have my own daughter home with me!
We really enjoyed our first Creekside Olympics on Tuesday and got so lucky with our bluebird day. Students did a wonderful job cheering each other on and getting into the spirit of the event. The awards ceremony on Wednesday was kicked off with Anja Kraunz singing the National Anthem. So Rad!
We've been learning about National symbols and this week we learned to sign the Pledge of Allegiance. Students did a terrific job practicing this so please have them share it with you. I've attached the video to the email so they can practice more if needed. We will perform this for our 6th grade reading buddies on Monday.
- Students use inventive (phonetic spelling) at school. Please do not spell for them - encourage them to sound out words. They should write any sounds they here. Do not worry - I understand K writing! It doesn't have to be perfect. We all do the best we can.
- Please send I.S. in on Monday
- Please be at school by 8:30
- Please send your child with mittens/gloves for recess
I.S. for Thursday and Friday March 1st and 2nd. There are no enrichment classes in the winter so students will need to turn in a list of work done as well as written work. This should be about 3 hours of work total each day. Pick what you would like to do each day. Please label work for each day with the date. Thank you for your help with this!
- Do an iReady Math lesson each day or do any other Math you like. We have been learning about and building solid shapes: sphere, cube, cylinder, and cone.
- Begin making a leprechaun trap to share with the class beginning March 12th. We will attempt to catch leprechauns in our classroom March 15th as they tend to visit early.
- Practice signing the Pledge of Allegiance (video attached to email).
- Do some of the snow experiments attached to the email. Have your child write about what they did and illustrate.
- Write 3 sentences or write a story using some of the heart words and illustrate.
- Build a snowman and take a picture of it to send to me. Draw a picture of it and label the parts.
- Practice counting to 100 by 1's and 10's (2's and 5's if your child wants a challenge)
- Ask your child about Hooway For Wodney Wat. Why did the students tease Wodney? How did he become their hero by the end of the book? Was Camilla Capybara really smarter than the other Rodents? Why/why not? What do you think happened to Camilla? Draw a picture of your favorite part of the story and tell me why - "my favorite part was ____ because_____."
- Practice signing letters a-z using the signing video if needed. Sign your heart words.
- Go through the work in your child's folder
- Read to your child at least 20 minutes
- practice reading/writing heart words: I, see, can, a, the, have, my, and, cat, dog, house, we, yes, no, to, is, it, love, by, because, look, book, from, this, go, get, thank, dear, going, today, they, went, will, as, am, play, are, was, come, said