This week we learned about the life of a Pilgrim boy named Samuel Eaton and we discussed all the things that made his life different from our lives today. One of the things we noticed were how many chores that Samuel did to help his family and students talked and wrote about chores that they do at home which are the bodies of their pilgrim boy/girl.
We have been working on "shared writing" in class where students work together to create a sentence. We use "inventive spelling" in order to encourage the flow of writing and help students to just get their thoughts down. You can read about inventive spelling under the "more" section of this website which will give helpful tips on helping your child to write at home.
Many thanks to Emily for doing another wonderful HOM presentation featuring persimmons. The recipe for her cookies is attached to my email.
11/20-21 I.S. days
11/22-24 Thanksgiving break
I.S. for Friday Nov.17 -If your child is attending enrichment classes then that will meet their I.S. requirements with the addition of the following activities:
- Practice writing numbers 1-10 correctly. If your child can do this then practice to 20 and counting to 100
- Practice signing letters a-z using the signing video if needed. Sign your heart words.
- Draw a picture of you playing in the snow today. Write a sentence.
- Go through the work in your child's folder
- Read to your child at least 20 minutes
- Ask your child to tell you about Turkey Trouble. What was Turkey's problem and how did he solve it?
- practice reading/writing heart words: I, see, can, a, the, have, my, and, cat, dog, house, we, yes, no, to, is, it, love, by, because
I.S. for November 20-21:
- Watch History videos (attached to email) and discuss with your family.
- Read, read, read!
- Do an iReady Math lesson
- Interview a relative and ask them questions about memories from their life when they were your age. Draw a picture of this relative and label with their name and where they live and how thy are related to you. Write 3 things they enjoy doing. Make a one minute video of this person and send to me.
- Try a new food for Thanksgiving and draw it. Write what it is and wether you liked it or not. (This is a cranberry. I like cranberries!)
- Help set the table, make food, or clear the table at Thanksgiving and write/illustrate what you did.