A huge thank you to Emily for teaching us about root vegetables. Students sampled parsnips and watermelon radishes and learned about their health benefits. The parsnips were a big hit!
This week we tested out our houses to see if they helped prevent our snowmen from melting. Ben (our fun new guy) said that tin foil would make a better house so we will try that next week. Kindergarteners are awesome builders!
In Math we are comparing things using weight. If you have any type of scale at home your child can practice. We like to first estimate which of two items will be heavier or lighter before we test.
Please encourage your child to write something today using inventive spelling (sounding it out). Help them revise by checking that they used all lower case letters except where needed and that they used ending marks. Most students are still struggling with these so you can review. We practice re-reading our writing by touching each word to make sure we didn't leave any necessary words out. We use two finger spaces between each word.
March 28-30 Spring conferences: optional. This means that unless I have told you that we need to meet, it's up to you if you feel we need to conference about your child. If you do schedule a conference, please bring your student.
- March 28 and 29 are minimum days. 12:15 pick up
- Students use inventive (phonetic spelling) at school. Please do not spell for them - encourage them to sound out words. They should write any sounds they here. Do not worry - I understand K writing! It doesn't have to be perfect. We all do the best we can.
- Please send I.S. in on Monday
- Please be at school by 8:30
- Please send your child with mittens/gloves for recess
I.S. for Friday, March 23rd. There are no enrichment classes in the winter so students will need to turn in a list of work done as well as written work. This should be about 3 hours of work total
- Do an iReady Math lesson
- Get some ice and put it in different places in your house or in different containers. Predict which will melt the fastest then monitor them to find out. Write about it.
- Watch the rabbit video then make a can/have/are chart showing what you learned from observing the rabbits. We will work more on this in class.
- Read a book and do an opinion write. My favorite part was___because____.
- Write 3 sentences or write a story using some of the heart words and illustrate.
- Practice counting to 100 by 1's and 10's (2's and 5's if your child wants a challenge)
- Ask your child about Jamie O'Roarke and the Big Potato.. How did you figure out that the leprechaun wasn't telling the truth about his gold. Write about what you would wish for if you had caught a leprechaun.
- Practice signing letters a-z using the signing video if needed. Sign your heart words.
- Go through the work in your child's folder
- Read to your child at least 20 minutes
- practice reading/writing heart words: I, see, can, a, the, have, my, and, cat, dog, house, we, yes, no, to, is, it, love, by, because, look, book, from, this, go, get, thank, dear, going, today, they, went, will, as, am, play, are, was, come, said, at, with, you, his, end, on